St. Mary’s Seminary & University’s Pinkard Scholars is the cornerstone of Youth Theological Studies at SMSU. The high school juniors admitted to this challenging course, RLST235: Foundations for Dialogue: Theology and Culture, explore and increase their understanding of:
- The Theology of God and the Existence of Evil;
- The Person and Work of Jesus Christ;
- Humanity, Sin, Grace, and Hope;
- The cultural reality of Human Trafficking with a specific focus on where God, Christ, Sin and Grace interact.
As the Pinkard Scholars learn to articulate and grapple with these explorations they, both as individuals and as a small learning community, broaden their capacity:
- to engage consciously in the dialogue between theology and culture.
- to develop and deepen the critical thinking, theological reflection and dialogue skills needed for social, ecumenical, and interfaith dialogue
- to contemplate the concept of call and how they might make a difference in the world and in their present sphere of influence
- to envision the cultivation of a culture of peace in the midst of human suffering and systemic violence
Pinkard Scholars Program Celebrates its 22nd Year!
Information for Nominating Parishes and Schools
If you have a student or students that you’d like to nominate to apply to the Pinkard Scholars Program, share the following Nomination Letter with them. This letter explains that you have nominated them to apply to this exciting program and also gives them information on what is needed to complete the application process. Applications are due by May 11, 2022 and students will be notified by May 25, 2022 if they have been accepted to participate in the program. Applicants are only accepted through nomination. If you have any questions, please direct them to Mrs. Krista Koronios at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information for Nominated Students
If you are a student and have been nominated to apply to the Pinkard Scholars Program, please submit the following forms before May 11, 2022 for consideration. Please follow the directions below:
- Complete the Application Form—remember, you can only apply if you have been nominated. Submit as instructed in #6 below.
- Write two essays (as noted on the application) and submit them in a PDF as instructed in #6 below. Remember to put your name on the Subject Line and also on each of the essays.
- Get two people to complete the Recommendation Form below. You can direct them to the form on this site and have them submit as instructed in #6 below.
- Have your school counselor submit the Academic Record Form as instructed in #6 below.
- Have your school counselor forward a PDF copy of your transcript as instructed in #6 below.
- All forms and material should be submitted by email to Mrs. Krista Koronios at email@example.com.
Complete List of Forms/Documents
- Pinkard Scholars Nominee Letter
- Pinkard Scholars Application
- Pinkard Scholars Recommendation Form
- Academic Record Form
- Transcript Request Form
There is a checklist on the application form. Please check that you have all of the forms filled out and submitted. All forms are to be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please contact Mrs. Koronios by email or call 410-864-4102 if you have any questions.