|Henry J. & Marion I. Knott Professor of Homiletics
Adjunct Instructor of Pastoral Studies
egriswold [at] stmarys.edu
Father Ed Griswold, a priest of the Diocese of Trenton, New Jersey and a 1972 alumnus of St. Mary’s, joined St. Mary’s faculty in 2008, retiring from full-time teaching in 2020. Father Griswold holds the Henry J. & Marion I. Knott Chair in Homiletics and continues to teach part-time. From 2018 to 2020 he was also the Director of the Seminary’s Human Formation and Pastoral Formation programs and served as Chair of the Pastoral Department. Before that appointment, he was Vice Rector from 2008 to 2018. Fr. Griswold also teaches Homiletics in the Archdiocese of Baltimore’s Permanent Deacon Formation Program. He has a professional interest in liturgical preaching and priestly formation, as well as the history of U.S. Catholic preaching.
Father Griswold served as Vocation Director for the Diocese of Trenton from 1980 to 1987. He then became the Executive Director of the National Conference of Diocesan Vocation Directors until 1991, when he joined the faculty of Mundelein Seminary in Chicago. In 1995 he returned to his home diocese to pastor two different parishes for the next fourteen years. From 2014 until 2016, Father Griswold served as president of the Catholic Association of Teachers of Homiletics.
In 2017 Fr. Griswold was awarded the Marten Postdoctoral Fellowship in Homiletics by the University of Notre Dame in South Bend, Indiana. During that time, he taught homiletics as a visiting professor in the Theology Department. There he began his present research project on American Catholic preaching during the fifty years before and after Vatican II. In the fall of 2020, St. Mary’s gave Fr. Griswold the Robert F. Leavitt Award for Excellence in Pastoral Leadership.
Over the years, Father Griswold has offered lectures, workshops, convocations, and retreats on the topic of liturgical preaching to diocesan presbyterates, seminarians, and permanent deacons and their wives. For health and recreation, Fr. Griswold enjoys walking and traveling. He likes to spend as much time as he can at the New Jersey shore.
Selected Courses Taught
- Preaching I: Basic Skills for Effective Preaching
- Preaching II: Preaching from the Lectionary
- Parish Administration
- “Lectio Divina and Homily Preparation,” in John Sassani, ed. Renewing the Priestly Heart (Plainfield, NJ: RENEW International, 2011), 106-110
- “Focus and Function: Kindling the Fire,” in Michael E. Connors, CSC, Effective Preaching (Chicago IL: Liturgy Training Publications, 2019), 123-132
https://www.youtube.com/watch?V=A7cF_CKvjQ0 (2017 lecture on pre-conciliar preaching in the USA)
- Michael Connors, CSC. Preaching for Discipleship: Preparing Homilies for Christian Initiation
- Fred Craddock, Preaching
- Guerric DeBona, Guerric, OSB, Preaching Effectively
- Mary Catherine Hilkert, OP, Naming Grace: Preaching and the Sacramental Imagination
- Barbara Brown Taylor, The Preaching Life
- James Wallace, CSsR, Preaching to the Hungers of the Heart: The Homily on the Feasts and Within the Rites
A Favorite Quotation
The glory of God is the human person fully alive; and to be alive consists in beholding God. — Irenaeus of Lyons