The following courses are required for the M.A. in Theology.
Introductory Courses (2 courses)
- TH601 Introduction to Theological Study, Research & Writing
Note: TH601 is normally a pre- or corequisite for other courses in the program; students with prior theological study may petition to waive this course and substitute a free elective.
- BS600 Orientation to Biblical Studies
Note: BS600 is normally a pre- or corequisite for most other courses in biblical studies in the program; students with prior academic biblical study may petition to replace this course with a biblical elective.
Biblical Studies (3 courses)
- BS621 Literature and Theology of the Hebrew Bible
- BS622 Literature and Theology of the New Testament
- One BS elective other than BS625 or BS635
Ecumenical and Interfaith Studies (1 course)
- Any ES (Ecumenical and Interfaith Studies) course
History (2 courses)
- H601 The Early Christian Church
One of the following five courses:
- H602 Medieval Church History
- H603 Modern Church History
- H/ST605 The History of Theological Systems
- H/ES611 The American Religious Experience
- H731 The Black Churches in America
Moral Theology (2 courses)
- MT600 Fundamentals of Theological Ethics
- One MT elective
Systematic Theology (2 courses)
- ST601 Foundations of Systematic Theology
- One ST elective
Spirituality (1 course)
- Any three credit SP (Spirituality) course, except courses in spiritual direction.
Free Electives (4 courses)
Any courses for which the co- and/or prerequisites are met, including up to two 500-level courses taken before matriculation.